9.27.2008

weapons

Went to weapons today. We worked on nunchuck dai ichi and kama dai ichi. While I've been away, they have changed some things on each kata. Why? Well, I guess over time some things have been tweaked and tweaked until they are all of a sudden different than the original intention. So at some point, Kyoshi took a closer look and fixed them. One big change is what hand we hold the small weapons in while bowing in and out of the kata. We all had been holding them in our left hand-which was non-confrontational. Along time ago in Japan, students were all forced to become right-handed so holding their weapons in the left hand meant they weren't going to attack. Well NOW...we have been told to hold them in the right hand because we actually ARE attacking. sigh. And we hold them in the left hand when we bow out of the kata..because apparently, we've already attacked, now we're done with attacking and we are peaceful again.
Another change, in Nunchuck dai ichi, there is a move where you step forward and squat down and do some figure 8s. Well they've changed that to a one knee position instead of the squat. THANK YOU! much better-i never felt very stable in that squat position and had a major fear of tipping over. And the other change is with Kama dai ichi, There is a stance change in the middle. I don't remember exactly what the stance we were in before was, but it changed into a horse stance, then is twisted into a weird back-stance/horse stance kind of thing.
AND.... I whacked my knuckles with my nunchucks. It hurt.

6 comments:

Becky G said...

Don't you hate it when they change things? My sensei changed one of our kata after doing it the same way since before I started. Now I have to practically re-learn the thing.

Potatoe Fist said...

I agree with Becky. Thankfully we don't make too many changes...

Blackbeltmama said...

Hmm, that's interesting. We always hold our weapons (bo and nunchaku at least) in our right hand to start. At least I think so. Now I have to think about the other kata we do.

And getting hit with nunchaku anywhere hurts. Knuckles would kill.

John Vesia said...

Some changes to kata are good. I used to have an instructor that made changes constantly, though. Drove everyone crazy.

Anonymous said...

Could you email me please? The email I sent bounced back.

Laura at BlogHer dot com

Thanks!

gemide filmi izle said...

thank you