10.30.2008

This week in karate

There is nothing more fun than being thrown down to the floor. Except maybe throwing someone else to the floor. We did a lot of bunkai Monday night. We worked on Pinan Sandan bunkai also which I had only done maybe twice and over a year ago. It’s a lot of fun. There’s an excellent take down at the end when the attacker gets you in a bear hug from behind and you have to grab his/her hands, move your left leg behind theirs and then twist and drop down and they go flying! (this takedown is also in our Kumite # 7). I’ve always had a problem with takedowns. Either I lean over too much and I get pulled down, or I don’t drop down into a deep enough horse stance, or I just try to use brute force which really never ever works. But for some reason, last night I did them all smoothly. I guess the techniques have finally sunk in. (its about time) I even threw down a couple men who are much bigger than me. Now that’s pretty cool. Heehee.
Last night I braved sparring. Haven’t done it in more than 6 months. It was a good class-not too many scary fighters (you know the kind…more interested in being brutal than practicing technique) I actually practiced some spinning hook kicks which I never do during sparring. I’m always convinced that while I’m spinning, my opponent will be way quicker than me and get to me before I’m completely spun around so I just don’t bother. But last night I did try and I was fairly successful. Successful meaning I did make it 360 degrees without being crushed. I didn’t necessarily land any of the kicks, but my aim was good. Not bad I thought. By the end of class I was wiped out. My cardio still needs a lot of help. I really need to start running again.

6 comments:

Meg said...

If you have any hints on how to perform a hook kick well, please let me know! I've got to do at least three of them on each leg and I have to do them *head high*. Fortunately, I have a few months to prepare, but still...I would love to know the secret to an effective kick!

Mir said...

Good for you! It feels so nice when you get that "it's finally sunk in" feeling, I know where you are coming from.

I would like to wish you a wonderful Happy New Year filled with these joyfilled moments!

Anonymous said...

Cardio has never come easy for me either. I know I should do more running, but it's a tough mental battle to get it going.

Mathieu said...

you are late in posting

Mr. Martial Arts said...

I really enjoyed the post. Thank you so much for covering this! It is well written, clear and concise.

astheticpros said...

Hello Frotoe,

I have come across your blog by searching for types of foot injuries. I am a beginning anaplastologist and am looking for clients such as yourself who has lost part of a finger or toe. I am not wanting to sell my services as of now, but would like to learn more about how injuries such as yours has affected you and your thoughts about a low cost prosthetic. Please email me at astheticpros@gmail.com