8.04.2006

Something that really annoys me

I hate when i've been working a kata for a long time, and then another student tells me that one of the moves is wrong. And then-gets one of the sensei's (granted-a young, new nidan sensei) to agree with her. This move is in Matsumura Passai (or Passai Dai) and i SWEAR it is an open hand supported block (that comes after a crescent kick and before 2 closed handed strikes that look like swimming moves). This other student (who happens to be a very nice, talented girl with looooong legs who beat me in sparring at the tournement) says its a closed handed supported block. I still don't buy it. I'm going to the top with this one and I hope to god that I'm right.
I know this happens a lot and I've been warned in the past that you can be taught different subtleties by different Sensei...BUT I WAS TAUGHT THIS KATA BY A GODAN. I'm going to continue to do it the way i was taught until my Renshi (a 6th degree) tells me otherwise.
I know. I'm ranting. maybe it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things BUT IT DOES TO ME!
sorry. didn't mean to yell.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

YOU CAN YELL ON YOUR OWN BLOG!!

Anonymous said...

YEAH! AND YOU DON'T NEED TO APOLOGIZE FOR IT EITHER!

Becky G said...

I agree. Do it the way you were taught.

Mathieu said...

ditto