7.09.2006

I'm surprised at myself. I ran for 3 miles yesterday at the track. We did a pre-physical test to see where we all were as far as the run, the pushups and crunches. Renshi gave me permission to stop/slow down during the run because of the foot and I was grateful, but i didn't take advantage of it. I didn't slow down or stop. I ran the whole 3 miles, everytime i felt like walking i would tell myself "after this lap". (I even passed some kids who had started walking... KIDS!) so my time was 3 miles in 31 minutes. The test requirement is 24 minutes. The test is in august. I think i can do that. We also had to do pushups. I did 33. (in august i'll have to do 50) When I started taking karate, I couldn't do 1 pushup! Then we all did crunches as a group- about 100. Then after the track, we went back to the dojo for candidate class-which is mostly all focus mitt kicking drills. After that, I went home and showered and ate and got ready for the noon class and weapons. By the time noon came around I was developing a nasty headache and my body was pleading with me to take a nap instead. So I took some advil and went anyway. It was a very aerobic class-more pushups, power kicks, punching drills, more focus kicks, then kata and bunkai. Weapons was good too, but by the end I was really worn out.
Today I hurt. my whole body is screaming at me. Its ok , its a good hurt. Stairs are a killer, though. and sitting down. and standing up. Tomorrow I get to start assistant teaching. I got the class I was hoping for, the adult beginner class. I love the sensei's who teach that class. They are so good at driving home the importance of good basics. and also making awkward adults (like me) feel more comfortable (and not embarrassed) trying to make their bodies do what feels completely unnatural.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Frotoe Mere!! You, go, you blogging karate chick! I am totally psyched about this blog and I don't care if you use appropriate punctuation or capitalize. so there

Anonymous said...

I'm so psyched, too. I keep checking it for updates like a crazy person.

frotoe said...

me too!

Mir said...

Good for you! Look how far you've come since you started training. How long has it been since you were a white belt to now where you are 1st kyu?

I would suggest that if you can train naturally (without Advil) it would be better for your foot. The Advil might mask any signals that your foot gives to you telling you that it's having struggles keeping up with the training. Sure, the Advil allows you to continue, but you could be risking further injuring the delicate web of healing that is happening in your body, and that could mean another 5 months of convolescence.

However, I'm just mentioning this out of my own dislike of pain medication. I do have a large bias against it.

frotoe said...

hahaha!! nice try girly- we all know you're a natural clutz! even that police man who witnessed it knows how you fell. TUCK AND ROLL!!